just read the comment about a gent using AA and that is currently what I have in front of me, while doing the helm chain it became very very difficult, I am going to try it with 5/32" with the 1/4" and see if that will keep the chain loose enough that its not folding in on its self or pulling the rings apart. Im currently making centre pieces for my wedding reception and I wanted to make these to go with my scale maille flowers. If it doesn't work then I will have to wait a month and order stainless steel rings. I would say I am a beginner to most maille but every project I have tackled has turned out just the way it was suppose to. This is my first attempt at combining scales and chain in this pattern. scale flowers are crazy easy. Wish me luck! ( always willing to hear advice from experiences maillers
OK I have my first skirt done - but the question is - what size/type of tealights did you buy (or better yet where did you buy them? All of mine are either too fat or far too narrow. It looks like you've used tealights with a plastic liner vs the thin foil ones. I cannot find any that don't have the foil liner - suggestions on where to look?
I did test one votive type candle (not holder) for the skirt and it worked ok for the stiffer version - but I can't get anything sized right to do the relaxed form.
For those curious about how easy/hard it was. If you can make helm and know how to make dragonscale - you can do this. The basis is a bit like dragonscale (not quite but close), and adding the scales can get tricky as you add layer 3 & 4 of scales but putting the skirt together took me about 2 hours with a lot of interruptions for various household things.
Any help on the type of tea-light/votive/holder to use or an exact measurement of the one you used would be awesome.
I used Party light brand tea lights. They are almost exactly 39mm OD. Likely near 2mm thicker then foil ones assuming the candle part is the same. Before trying to hunt down a specific candle I suggest trying to add one more row of rings at the bottom. In other words one more layer of the weave. Just don't add scales to it. It should tighten the weave up a bit more. I did this myself when using stainless and bronze scales instead of the AA ones as they are thinner and left the skirt a bit loose.
If you can get the force fit to work then you have it right. The relaxed fit is really just the open skirt laying around the candle loose. It doesn't grip the candle like the forced fit. It doesn't need to be tight. You just want it close enough that it remains in a round shape. A relaxed skirt just barely touches the candle all the way around.
Oh yay! I have supplies to try this - I think. One question - any idea how it works with BA instead of stainless - or IF it works. I know sizes might need to be adjusted a bit (18g 1/4 & 18g 5/32 work for double center connector helm I know - not sure how that'll translate into the 2nd half of the project though. Suggestions for sizes for using BA - if it'll work?
You don't want to go tighter especially with BA. There is some strain the weave is under when in the forced position. Not sure of BA will hold or force open the closures over time. Not to say it won't work. I know a fellow who was trying it with anodized aluminum but haven't heard back yet how they turned out. All I can recommend is try for the same wire thicknesses and Ids and if your skirt is tight on the object perhaps add an extra link. If using a tea light add a layer of foil if the skirt is too loose until it fits enough to hold. If you are using generic tea lights they are a tiny bit smaller then the one I used as they generally just have a foil cup cover instead of the thicker plastic one I used in the tutorial.
You can reach me on Maillers Worlwide too. Nice to see ya Carrie.